Call for tenders- "Theatre for Conflict Transformation"
The Academy for Conflict Transformation, part of forumZFD, is looking for a trainer to develop and deliver a 5-day thematic in-person training on theatre for conflict transformation, scheduled for autumn 2023, which will take place in a venue close to Cologne, Germany.
Application Deadline: 12.03.2023
1. Background information
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence.
Our Academy for Conflict Transformation, the qualification department inside forumZFD, offers a learning space for professional, international peace work and is training experts in the field of civil conflict transformation. Our educational work is an expression of our conviction that non-violent, constructive ways of dealing with conflicts can be both taught and learned. The main goal is to provide specialists who already work or intent to work on international peace projects and conflict-sensitive development cooperation with practical tools that allow them to contribute to building lasting peace. In our courses and trainings, we create learning spaces where theory meets practice. Within this, our educational concept focuses on personal development, self-determination, responsibility and the ability to act in conflicts. One of our central concerns is fostering a personal attitude oriented towards peace-related values among all those who participate. The international intercultural exchange and participatory learning are particular strengths of all our trainings.
The Academy’s portfolio consists of longer, comprehensive training courses in peace and conflict work as well as shorter trainings focused on specific topics – both as in-person and online. Furthermore, we offer specific exchange platforms for alumni and orientation trainings for people interested in the Civil Peace Service (CPS). The Academy also offers tailor-made trainings in the field of peace and conflict transformation.
2. Training description
With the thematic trainings, the Academy aims to reach peacebuilders who want to expand and deepen their existing knowledge through specialized topics in the field of peace and conflict work.
The majority of the participants are active in peacebuilding and already have knowledge on basic theories around peace and conflict.
In 2023 the Academy aims to offer a thematic in-person training on the topic of theatre for conflict transformation. We encourage applying trainers to choose one or two specific theatre approaches that can be taught within 5 days, so that participants subsequently feel confident in applying this in their context. After the training, participants should at least have accomplished the following learning objectives.
- …know at least one method of theatre for conflict transformation.
- …have learned about the impact of theatre for peace work and the transformation of conflicts.
- …have experienced the theatre approach as participants and were able to apply it themselves in a practice-oriented way.
- …have learned through exercises and know how to apply this in practice in their (working) context.
- …have reflected limits and challenges of theatre work.
The planned schedule is 5 consecutive days. The target number of participants is 16 people. If there are any changes in this regard, the trainer will be notified in a timely manner.
The training aims to be as hands-on-oriented and participative as possible. The Academy for Conflict Transformation promotes an interactive, varied and playful learning environment and exchange-oriented communication of content. In addition to input from the trainer, the exchange of ideas among the participants, for example in group work and discussions, is also crucial and a valuable resource. We emphasize a warm, encouraging, trusting and appreciating atmosphere.
The trainer shall perform an in-person thematic training (preparing, holding and follow-up) and is responsible for designing and facilitating the training, supported by and in agreement with the Academy’s team. This includes the following tasks:
Conceptualization and preparation of the training
- Providing information on the training for the acquisition of participants
- Depending on the needs at least one consultation with the Academy’s educational consultant on the methods used during the training and the prepared course outline
Implementation of the training
- Independent facilitation of the training and preparation thereof
- Feedback to participants’ contributions
- Creating a safe space
- Adapting the training to participants’ needs and their learning process
- Friendly and responsive communication with the participants
Evaluation of the training
- One last evaluative meeting with the educational consultant or a written report
The Academy for Conflict Transformation supports the methodical and content-related organization and is responsible for the advertising of the training, done in cooperation with the facilitator. It also provides the infrastructure for the training (e.g. venue, facilitation material). Furthermore, we provide the trainer with information on participants’ experience and expectations before the start of the training. The educational consultant is always available for consultation.
4. Requirements to apply and assessment procedure
The following seven criteria have to be fulfilled:
- Substantial knowledge of the theory of the training subject
- Relevant hands-on experience in areas related to the training subject
- Substantial experience as a trainer and/or in adult education in transcultural contexts
- Strong communication skills, ability to recognize and respond to participants’ needs, willingness to implement constructive feedback
- Excellent skills of the training language (English)
- Being aware of various power relations and one’s own role as well as taking an anti-racist stance
Rating criteria: Qualification and Experience
Rating Criteria: Quality of the Concept
The Academy offers a daily rate of 650 € (excl. VAT). This training implies six daily rates (preparation, implementation and evaluation). Further, travel costs will be reimbursed and a full board and accommodation will be provided in or close to the venue where the training takes place. Remark: The Academy receives public funding and is therefore bound to an economic allocation of resources.
6. Submission of proposals
The proposals should include:
- A CV
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and working approaches, including information on availability
- A training concept and outline (see annex 1)
Please submit all documents in English.
In case of questions, do not hesitate to contact Hannah Würbel, advisor for online trainings (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please send your proposal to Vi Pundt (tender@forumZFD.de) Please make sure to clearly state in the email subject [Surname, Name, Training “Theatre for conflict transformation”]
We look forward to receiving your expression of interest by 12.03.23.