Designing, initiating and accompanying communication processes among the different parties of a conflict is one of the core elements of peace work. These processes demand a profound understanding of the situation, an empathetic and multipartial attitude towards the parties and a comprehensive set of communication skills. This seminar focuses on your role of the peace worker as a third party in a conflict and explores the attitude, skills, knowledge and tools necessary for accompanying dialogue processes.
Paying special attention to all key elements of a congruent communication style – such as listening, body language, cultural sensitivity or voice – you will learn about the necessary components around dialogue processes. From the creation of a safe space with each of the parties involved to the structural and institutional requirements of a dialogue, going through the separation of roles and clarification of objectives, this seminar seeks to increase your awareness on the big picture of dialogue process design and all the small, yet crucial elements that maximise the chances for a successful dialogue process.
- Concepts and terms: dialogue, mediation, negotiation, conversation, facilitation, agreement
- Designing dialogue processes to fit the needs of the conflict parties
- Paying attention to the detail: physical space, use of voice, influence of gender, cultural sensitivity, power dynamics, translations
- Tools and skills for dialogue facilitation
- Establishing contact, creating safe spaces and trust-building
- Types of outputs from dialogue processes and their impact on individual and structural transformation in the broader conflict setting
- Participation in weekly online sessions (tuesdays 3 - 4:30 pm Berlin Time)
- Approximately 2 hours/week self-paced study focused on reading course materials and applying tools and skills gained during the course to your specific context (e.g. designing a dialogue-based peacebuilding activity relevant to your current work)
Registration for this online seminar is now possible. Please use the button below to enroll.