Designing, initiating and accompanying communication processes among the different parties of a conflict is one of the core elements of peace work. These processes demand a profound understanding of the situation, an empathetic and multipartial attitude towards the parties and a comprehensive set of communication skills. This seminar focuses on your role of the peace worker as a third party in a conflict and explores the attitude, skills, knowledge and tools necessary for accompanying dialogue processes.
Paying special attention to all key elements of a congruent facilitation style you will learn about the necessary components needed in designing and implementing dialogue processes. From the creation of a safe space with each of the parties involved to the structural requirements of a dialogue, going through the clarification of roles and objectives, this seminar seeks to increase your awareness regarding the big picture of dialogue process design and all the small, yet crucial elements that maximise the chances for a successful dialogue process.
- Concepts and terms: dialogue, mediation, negotiation, facilitation
- Designing dialogue processes to fit the needs of the conflict parties
- Types of outputs from dialogue processes and their impact on individual and structural transformation in the broader conflict setting - establishing contact, creating safe spaces, trust-building, joint analysis and searching for solutions
- Types of dialogue formats to address a variety of conflict situations
- Tools and skills for dialogue facilitation
- Paying attention to the detail: physical space, logistics, translations
- Cross cutting issues: power dynamics, inclusion, gender, cultural sensitivity
- Participation in weekly online live sessions, each Tuesday 14:00 -15:30 CEST, 90 min, March 24 to May 5. Participation in a minimum of 4 out of 7 live online sessions
- Technical Check on March 17, 14:00 -15:30 CEST
- approximately 2 hours workload week self-paced study focused on reading course materials, for 7 weeks
- applying tools and skills gained during the course to your specific context (e.g. designing a dialogue-based peacebuilding activity relevant to your current work)
Please enroll via the button below .
Due to some technical issues, please always send an additional e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us that you have just enrolled, even if you receive a message that the seminar is full. Thank you for your understanding!